What’s the best way to celebrate Earth Day? Ride a bike! Bike commuting instead of driving alone is one way you can help support the planet while also taking in the joys only a two -wheeled friend can provide!
Along the Front Range, and in particular, our home town of Golden, Colorado, it’s easy to commute by bike. Not only do we have a vast network of well maintained bike paths, but at bikeparts.com, we also have all the road parts and mtb parts, commuter bikes, and cycling accessories to make any bike commute or bike ride easy and fun!
Because April 22nd is Earth Day, you might be wondering why is all this important? As a supporter of our local community and race teams, we know bike commuting is a win-win for our local community. For both businesses and individuals looking to save money, embrace eco awareness, and promote healthy, livable cities, cycling is important. Here’s why:
- Cycling as alternative transportation helps the environment by reducing carbon emissions.
- Bicycles emit virtually no pollution when in use; they require far less materials, energy and waste in their production than even the ‘greenest’ car.
- Cycling offers a certain connection to the open air and the surrounding trees. It’s amazing how usual surroundings look different when on a bike.
- Cycling can be done by toddlers, teenagers, youngsters and adults as well. It can be used as personal time to reflect upon your day or a means to unite friends for regular rides.
- Regular participation in a cycling routine naturally shifts your focus to include thoughts of the weather, areas in your community to ride, road safety, and traffic. Thereby increasing your awareness of the link between the environment and your community.
- The freedom your bike gives you offers routes and locations that your car can’t.
- Cycling is a good exercise for overall fitness of the body. It improves health and reduces stress and tension.
- Cycling contributes to a positive work/ life balance.
- Bicycles can be produced and maintained locally by local bike shops, like Peak Cycles Bicycle Shop. This supports local job opportunities and promotes a sustainable economy.
- Overall, increased cycling commuting reduces air pollution generated from motorized vehicles.
This Earth Day, we encourage you to put your pedal power to good! Get committed and inspire your family, colleagues and others to get on a bike! Pump up your tires, lube your chain, and put your pedal power to good use!