At the beginning of the race season, enthusiasm and energy is high! About the mid-season point, accumulated season fatigue catches up with most racers. Recovery rate from workouts and from races slows down and finally, by the end of the season, some find their motivation waning. As the racing season seems to be getting longer and longer, what are the ways to maintain motivation and also – capture added gains towards next year’s goals? Keep riding, of course!
Previously, we blogged about how to finish the season strong and suggested bucket list rides through August of 2016. Now that the road and mountain bike cycling season is nearing its end, it’s time to rally! Dig deep! Celebrate the end of the season with a final push. Then, make the transition to the fall season having no regrets.
The key to late season racing and bike events is really to have fun! Earlier in the season, the focus is on improving fitness or achieving goals. Now is the time to enjoy the gains of your hard work. With fitness levels high, late season bike events offer a chance to experiment with race strategies and new cycling accessories. If experimentation isn’t your thing, then at least replace worn out bike parts or catch deals on bike close outs, bike parts and components. Having a fun, relaxed attitude combined with a celebratory bike event is a great way to finish your season. Here are the bike races and events on tap through October, 2016.
Road Bike Races and Events in Colorado
- September 2-5, 2016 – Steamboat Springs Stage Race presented by Moots Cycles
- September 4, 2016 West Elk Bicycle Classic
- September 16, 2016 Pedal the Plains
- September 24, 2016 Ride for Success
- September 24, 2016 Bikes and Brew
- October 1, 2016 ICON Tour of the Moon
- September 2-4. 2016 – Yeti Cycles Big Mountain Enduro, Crested Butte, enduro
- September 3, 2016 – Ring the Peak, Manitou Springs, endurance
- September 4, 2016 – Grand Traverse Mountain Bike Race, Aspen-Crested Butte
- September 4, 2016 The Fall Classic XC Breckenridge
- September 9-11, 2016 – Vail Outlier Offroad Festival, Vail, XC, enduro
- September 10-11, 2016 – Vapor Trail 125, Salida 125mi, (night MTB)
- September 15-18, 2016 – Salida Bike Fest, Salida, MTB, 4-days
- September 17, 2016 – Banana Belt Mountain Bike Race, Salida, XC
- September 17, 2016 – Golden Giddy Up, Golden, Festival, MTB, enduro
- September 17-18, 2016 – Todd & Ned’s Durango Dirt Fondo, Durango, 30/50mi, 2-days
- September 18, 2016 – Monarch Crest Crank, Salida, 25mi, MTB
- September 24, 2016 – Rico 50/100, Rico, endurance
- September 24, 2016 – Cougar Slayer, Blackhawk, endurance
- October 1, 2016 – Dolores 100/50, Dolores, endurance)
- October 1, 2016 – 12 Hours of Peaceful Valley, Elbert, endurance
- October 1, 2016 – Pedal 50, Monument, 55mi, gravel *free
- October 8, 2016 – 12 Hours of Penitence, Penitente Canyon, San Luis Valley 12-hr (MTB)
Late season races should be fun. If you love what you are doing and are having fun with it, then you are setting yourself up for more good stuff to come in the following season…or cyclocross! Stay tuned for our cyclocross post by following us on Twitter and connecting on Facebook.