April showers bring May flowers and for us in Golden, Colorado – a long overdue start to the bike riding season! May is recognized as National Bike Month and as a local bike shop and an online bike parts store serving the nation, we couldn’t be happier! Bike commuting, road riding, and mountain bike riding are all part of living a healthy lifestyle but they also serve as alternative transportation, helping the environment, as well as getting families, businesses, and communities involved.
As supporters of several bike race teams and local events, we encourage you to put your pedal power to good use this bike month. Get committed and enroll your family, colleagues and others to get on a bike! Ride! Here’s how you can participate in National Bike Month with us at Peak Cycling.
For your bike: The bike season is a bit overdue due to the linger winter weather. Now is the time to dust off that bike, look it over, and perform any bike maintenance to ensure comfortable and safe riding.
- Get a tune up
- Replace old bike parts with new ones
- Replace worn out gear like helmets , shoes , gloves
- Treat yourself to one of our jerseys – ride local and proud
- Set a milage goal for the month of May- get a new computer
For your family and friends: Bike commuting has numerous benefits: it improves your health, saves you money on car maintenance and gas bills, and overall, lightens your mood and refreshes your outlook.
- Create a weekly group ride with friends and family
- Join the Peak Cycles group ride
- Explore our local trails – some favorites include Green Mountain, White Ranch , and Buffalo Creek
For your business: Create a bike commuting program for employees. Bike commuting increases worker productivity, reduces parking cost, reduces carbon emissions and bicycles can be produced and maintained locally by local bike shops (like us – Peak Cycles) contributing to local job opportunities as part of a sustainable economy.
- Create a bike challenge – get employees involved for year round bike commuting
- Set up a bike storage and maintenance room with extra supplies like lube, tubes, floor pumps, and basic bicycle tools
- Host a bike safety class
- Host a bike maintenance class
For your community: Bike riding offers a certain connection to the open air and the surrounding trees. It’s amazing how usual surroundings look different when on a bike. It can can be done by toddlers, teenagers, youngsters and adults as well. It can be used as personal time to reflect upon your day or a means to unite friends for regular rides.
- Explore and discover your local community by bike
- Commute by bike for work and play
- Learn how to use Google maps and the City of Golden website for bike routes
What are you waiting for? Pump up your tires, lube your chain, and put your pedal power to good use! Ride ON!