What makes a successful cycling season? It is having a good coach? Having a really fast bike? Having the right bike parts for each race or event? According to Mike Ricci, head coach of the 2013 National Champion CU Triathlon Team, it is consistency that pays off. This means consistency in hitting your workouts week in and week out, month in and month out, and year in and year out.
As the 2013 cycling season comes to a close, now is a good time to reflect on what worked and what didn’t work in meeting your goals and objectives this past year. How did training consistency play a part in your success or lack of success this past year? How should you be planning for 2014? And, what other questions should you be asking yourself to improve upon this past year’s performance?
While the year may not be quite over, many are already planning their 2014 race and cycling season. Sure, it’s fun to have lofty new goals, new ambitions, and new venues to fuel your cycling passions through the winter months, but not pausing to reflect on what has recently come to pass is missing a valuable opportunity to make personal gains that only you can make. Personal reflection offers insights to truly optimize your training and racing regimen.
The post, Athlete-Coach Season Review, poses 10 questions to review your past season’s performance:
- What was the highlight of your season (for example, best race or greatest accomplishment)?Why?
- What was your greatest disappointment? Why?
- Review your top three goals for this season. Do you feel these were achieved?
- What did you do in training this season that you feel made you faster?
- What did you do in training this season that you feel was not productive?
- If you could change your training, mental preparation, or race tactics/strategy this past season, what would you do differently?
- Was there anything missing in your training this season?
- Do you feel that you trained enough and worked hard enough in training this season?
- Do you feel that you had adequate rest during training and before races?
- Do you have any extra comments and insights on this season?
With these personal insights in mind, you are better equipped to plan and execute a rewarding and successful 2014 cycling season.