January is prime winter cycling time. The holidays are behind us and all that’s left on the cyclist’s mind is, “when can I get out on those chilled, hard-packed trails that I love”. With winter races just on the horizon, we at Peak Cycles wanted to provide you with a guide to the best ways to enjoy winter riding.
- Plus-size Tires: Plus-size tires are a relatively new trend in winter riding this year. They are popular because the 3” tires handle snow really well but have a reasonable tire weight so you aren’t compromising speed performance. As a result, bikes with plus-size tires turn out to be an ideal all-season mountain bike and a purchase you won’t regret. The S-works Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie is our top-performing and most popular plus-size tired bike right now. Come to our store to check it out!
- Fat Bikes Are Still Fun: Fat biking is still a favored activity in the winter. You can’t beat the feeling of control on snow with big fat tires. We were excited to see that our well-liked Specialized S-Works Fatboy Carbon made the top of Outside Magazine’s Best Fat Bikes of 2016 and the top of The MTBGuide’s 2016 Top Fat Bikes list.
- Introduce Kids to Mountain Biking: Fat bikes are also a great way to introduce your kids to mountain biking. In a Fat-Bike.com post, a cycling-enthusiast father talks about his son’s experience on a 24” Specialized Fatboy. The father proudly claimed that after riding the Fatboy, his son “changed from a timid kid who would put up with going out to ride with a lot of coaxing to asking to go mountain biking on more and more challenging trails.” We have found the Specialized Riprock Plus-size Kids’ Bike to be an excellent all-season starter for younglings.
- Get Your Winter Cycling Accessories: If you’re going to be comfortable riding in the winter, you’re going to need the right bike parts and cycling accessories. For you fat bikers, Kenda released its Juggernaut Pro tires that are lightweight (only 767 grams!) and serve as an excellent racing tire. Some of our other most loved winter riding accessories include the Specialized Defroster cycling boot, Pogies, and long-lasting Endura jackets.
- Enter a Race: There are a number of winter races/rides coming up including:
- January 27th – 31st, Crested Butte – The first ever Fat Bike World Championships
- February 7th, Lyons – Old Man Winter Rally
- Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series
- January 23rd, Copper – Winterbike at Copper
- February 20th, Ski Cooper – Tennessee Pass Night Jam
- March 5th, Leadville – Mineral Belt Mayhem
- April 23rd, Leadville – Eastside Epic
Peak Cycles Bicycle Shop wishes you the best with your winter cycling! And don’t forget that if you ever need advice, don’t hesitate to stop into our store.