As the state starts to reopen after more than nine weeks in lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic in the US, many people are wondering what they can do this Memorial Day Weekend. Our suggestion? Ride, of course! And ride safely!
Following our guidelines for staying safe and healthy while also so having some fun this Memorial Day weekend.
As a general rule and worth repeating, keep these guidelines in mind when planning your rides:
– Follow social distancing by only riding solo or with members of your household
– Follow the recommended 6 feet distance, leaving as much space between you and others
– Be extra courteous when passing others walking or biking, announcing that you’re passing and leaving as much space as possible. This is especially important on bike paths given more people are walking, jogging, and using paths as there are fewer alternatives available now.
– Ride respectfully and carefully, taking care not to take risks that would need medical resources
It’s also important to prepare for your ride with more attention to detail. Meaning, before you head on any of these rides, be sure to be prepared!
– Know the profile – How much climbing and descending should you expect?
– Know the route – Where is the trailhead? How long is the route? What is the technical difficulty? What type of terrain will you be riding? And, What are the current trail conditions?
– Know the weather conditions before, during, and soon after you expect to ride. Colorado weather changes quickly and sometimes, radically. Be prepared.Know what cycling apparel to wear. Being over or underdressed makes for an uncomfortable ride.
– Know which bike components are best for the terrain type and the right mountain bike tire to use.
While these may seem like common sense things to address, you’ll want a checklist of essential bike parts and components to carry with you.
– Food, gels, and on the bike nutrition
– Tubes, lube, a pump or C02
– Chain and multi-tool
– Rain jacket
– Hydration pack and extra bottles for fluids
If you find yourself without any of these items, don’t fret! Just head over to Peak Cycles Bicycle Shop and we’ve got you covered. We have several bike parts and cycling accessories, as well as, cycling apparel on sale to help get you rolling into the holiday weekend.
Riding this Memorial Day weekend may be different than in previous years, but it can be equally as fun. Plan ahead and be ready for the adventure!
Suggested Reading for Riding During the Coronavirus:
How To Ride During the Coronavirus
Back To Basics: Getting Kids on Bikes
How To Take a Family Bike Ride During the Coronavirus