The Tour de Vineyards offers recreational and competitive cyclists alike the opportunity to cycle by beautiful and lush vineyards, enjoy foods and beverages authentic to the region, all while being treated to some of Colorado’s finest western slope hospitality. How do you make the most of it? First, online registration is closed but the day of the event you can register for either the 23 mile or 58 mile event.
To make sure you enjoy the event and also ride your best, there are a few ways to prepare. As we’ve mentioned before in older posts, you’ll want to remember these important tips:
- Prepare your bike in advance. Give your road bike a once over. Notice any bike parts that need to be replaced.
- Know the course and aid stations. Primarily, you want to anticipate your needs as you tick off each mile. For instance, learn or write down on a card to put in your jersey the mile markers for the aid stations. You may also make note of the mileage between aid stations. You may end up passing through the earlier aid stations only to stop more frequently at the the aid stations later in the event.
- Consider taking a rain jacket and extra chain lube in your jersey pocket or seat bag.
- Lay everything out the night before. This includes your every day cycling apparel: helmet, gloves, shoes, socks, shorts, jersey, sunglasses, water bottles, food, and sunscreen.
- Go easy at the start and ease into the ride. It’s tempting to go too fast at the start, but holding back some energy will allow you to finsih feeling strong.
- Recover smart! At the completion of your ride, be mindful to cool down appropriately. Spin your legs out and get your heart rate down. Consider wearing compression garments or using a nutritional aid to accelerate the recover process. After all, the fast you recover, the faster you can ride your bike again!
At Peak Cycles Bicycle Shop, we have a lot of suggestions and advice on making the most of your ride. Stop in the shop to pick up the bike parts you need to have the best Tour de Vineyards ride. In face, our online store, Bikeparts.com, has lots of different types of nutritional supplements, cycling accessories, and cycling apparel all in one place to help you make the most of your riding. So, enjoy the ride and the scenery! The Tour do Vineyards is exceptional in that you get to usher in the fall with a scenic and leisurely tour of Colorado’s Wine Country. Take in the beauty of the Western Slope, explore the wineries, vineyards, orchards and mesas.