Fat Biking is abuzz in Colorado. Colorado is already a favorite state for cyclists due to the mountainous terrain, rugged trails, scenic views, and outdoorsy population. But now, Colorado is a hot destination for a new phenomenon in the cycling world: Fat Biking.
Fatbikes can be used during any season and in any terrain, but they are most popular during the winter months and in snowy conditions. Fatbikes have made it possible for cyclist to bike all year, even in states like Colorado with snowy months.
Opportunities to fatbike are popping up all over the state. Nordic centers and ski resorts are beginning to allow fat bikers on groomed trails. Many ski areas also offer lessons with the help of staff instructors. Examples include:
- Aspen Snowmass Nordic Trail System
- Breckenridge Gold Run Nordic Ski Center
- Devil’s Thumb Ranch in Tabernash
- Latigo Ranch in Kremmling
- Durango Mountain Resort
- Howelson Hill Nordic Center in Steamboat Springs
- Lake Catamount Touring Center in Steamboat Springs
- Sunlight Mountain Resort
- YMCA of the Rockies – Snow Mountain Ranch
A number of nordic centers and fat bike enthusiasts are also hosting fatbike races. You might consider trying to race one of these:
Beerd Belly – Evergreen CO
Abominable Winter Fat Bike Race – Como Colorado
Alley Loop Fat Bike Race – Crested Butte
Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series:
And that’s not all! There are also fat bike tours in the Colorado area!
- Paragon Outdoors in Telluride
- Absolute Bikes Adventures in Salida
- Front Range Guides in Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins
- Break Bike Guides in Breckenridge
For our local customers BikeParts.com, you don’t have to go far to ride your fatbike. There are some really great trails along the Front Range that are great for fatbikes. Some favorites include North Table Mesa in Golden. In fact, why don’t you demo a fat bike at Peak Cycles Bicycle Shop in Golden, Colorado? Stay tuned for more upcoming blog posts on fatbike selections, cycling apparel, hydration strategies, fat bike bike parts, and accessories. Or, take some time and enjoy the following posts for additional reading.
- Are you Fat Bike Curious? The Questions You Want Answered!
- Why We Love the Specialized Fat Boy Bike
- 9 Great Fatbike Events for 2015