Thinking about tinkering with your bike? Check out this video from Trek and SRAM where they show master mechanic, Sean Murphy, of Fluid Function in Squamish, B.C. assembling one of the two builds Brandon Semenuk used during Red Bull Rampage where he was crowned with a 4th championship title.
Single crown fork at Rampage?
With big travel and big trick potential, his custom 27.5 / 26 mulleted Trek Session was set up with a one-of-a-kind BlackBox AXS drivetrain, and a 190mm single crown RockShox ZEB Ultimate. Master mechanic, Sean Murphy, of Fluid Function in Squamish, B.C. assembled one of his two builds that he rode at Red Bull Rampage. The use of the single crown fork gave Semenuk the competitive advantage to unlock tricks that are impossible with a double crown fork.
- Frame: Custom built Trek Session 27.5″ / 26″ Mullet
- Derailleur: BlackBox XX1 Eagle AXS short cage
- Controller: SRAM AXS
- Cassette: SRAM X01 DH
- Chain: SRAM Eagle
- Crankset: SRAM X01 DH DUB | 165mm, with custom crank damper
- Fork: RockShox ZEB Ultimate | 190mm, 44m offset, 3 Tokens, 63.5 PSI, HSC open, LSC 9 clicks to closed
- Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate DH with MegNeg air can | 270 PSI, 4.5 tokens in Positive, 2 Bands in Negative, Rebound 5 clicks to closed, LSC 9 clicks to closed.
- Front Brake: SRAM Code RSC | Routed through Zeb steerer tube.
- Rear Brake: SRAM Code RSC | Extra long brake hose for 3 full rotations of handlebars.
- Rotors: SRAM HS2 200mm (front & rear)
- Wheels: Industry Nine 27.5″ / 26″
- Handlebar: Chromag
- Stem: Chromag
- Seatpost: Truvativ Noir T40
- Tire Front: Maxxis Assegai 27.5 x 2.5″ EXO+ Maxx Grip
- Tire Rear: Maxxis Minion DHR2 26 x 2.4″ DH Casing Maxx Grip
- Saddle: Chromag
- Grips: Chromag
- Pedals: Chromag
What do you think of Brandon’s Red Bull Rampage build for 2021? It worked well enough for him to take an unprecedented 4th win at Rampage. Will we see other riders make the switch to single crown forks next year? Only time will tell.