Fireworks, food, and patriotic music are part of July 4 festivities throughout the United States, but beyond that, celebration traditions vary. Cyclists especially have their own way of celebrating the 4th and generally, that is with a great bike ride. Extra time away from work, combined with good weather and improved fitness makes for an epic day in the saddle. The question is, where to ride? Check out our pick of ride worthy routes for both road and mountain bike riding along the Front Range.
Mountain bike rides:
- White Ranch Trail
- Dakota Ridge and Red Rocks Trail
- North Table Mountain
- Green Mountain Park
- South Table Mountain
- Chimney Gulch Trail
- Apex Park Trail
- Golden Gate Canyon State Park
- Lair O’ the Bear
- Buffalo Creek
- Centennial Cone
- Hall Ranch
- Historic Lariat Loop
- Deer Creek Canyon
- Bergen Park or Idaho Springs to Guanella Pass
- Red Rocks Park Loop
- Bergen Park or Idaho Springs to St. Mary’s Glacier (Alice)
- Idaho Springs to Loveland Pass
- Golden to Cold Springs Campground via Golden Gate Canyon
- Bergen Park to Echo Lake
- Idaho Springs to Juniper Pass
- Manitou Springs to Pike Peak Summit Parking Lot (Pikes Peak Hill Climb)
- Morgul-Bismark Route
- Jamestown Canyon Ride
- Flagstaff Hill Climb
- NCAR Hill Climb
- Lookout Mountain Hill Climb
- Sunshine Hill Climb
- Magnolia Hill Climb
- Mt. Evans Hill Climb
- Pikes Peak
- Trail Ridge Road
A few reminders before you head out on a day of cycling.
- Know the profile – How much climbing and descending should you expect?
- Know the route – where is the trailhead? How long is the route? What is the technical difficulty? What type of terrain will you be riding? And, what are the current trail conditions?
- Know the weather conditions before, during, and soon after you expect to ride. Colorado weather changes quickly and sometimes, radically. Be prepared.
- Know what cycling apparel to wear. Being over or underdressed makes for an uncomfortable ride.
- Know which bike components are best for the terrain type and the right mountain bike tire to use.
In addition to preparing for your ride, you will want a checklist of essential items to carry with you.
- Food, gels, and on the bike nutrition
- Tubes, lube, a pump or C02
- Chain and multi-tool
- Rain jacket – (hint, we have a huge sale going on! Up to 60% off cycling jackets and rain gear)
Post-ride, recover with a jump in a lake or pool. Indulge in grilling, spending time with family and friends and eating 4th of July treats guilt-free. Show your patriotic spirit by enjoying festivals, parades, and fireworks. Whatever you do, enjoy! Happy 4th of July!